Thursday, November 11, 2010

Heavy Light Reading

Do we really know someone we've only "met" online? Yes and no, I think. I think we know them on a different level, somehow. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.
I've never met Thom Gabrukeiwicz. He's a friend and former coworker of my good friend Ian, who presides over a fun blog titled Uncle E's Musical Nightmares. They both worked at our local paper in Redding, the Record Searchlight, but they both left--along with a bunch of other senior journalists and staff--with the downturn in the paper's fortunes. Thom strikes me as someone who would make a good friend, even though he'd thoroughly piss you off now and then.
In addition to his blog, Thom has a site named Three Word Wednesday. Once a week, he offers up three words as writing prompts. Folks create poetry with the words, or short stories, or "flash fiction." Thom presides over the site like a kindly uncle, and his own submissions show how much can be conveyed with few words.
Perhaps because I'm in aviation, where divorce seems as common as the common cold, Thom's post yesterday really got to me. For National Guard and Reservist folks who've been deployed to Iran or Afghanistan, the divorce rate is strikingly high. That's probably another reason why Thom's story wrapped me up: I've heard similar stories over the intercom. I hope you'll give it a look.
Thom worked as a journalist in the midwest until recently. On his deathbed, Thom's dad encouraged him to go to New York to pursue his love of writing fiction. I wish Thom loads of luck, and I hope he'll do his best to see to it that his first novel is released on Kindle.


4 comments:

Debby said...

One good thing about meeting Thom on line only is that you never actually have to try to wrap your tongue around that name. :^D

Good luck, Thom, and we'll be waiting to hear about your first book!

Uncle E said...

Thom's got a big enough head as it is, you two!
Nah, he's a great guy, and a really excellent writer. When his book is published I'll be first in line.

His last name is pronounced:

"Gabe-re-cave-itch"

Personally I think he should spell it phonetically.

And one last thing: Hal, you REALLY need to become serious about writing your novel. You underestimate your talents.

Debby said...

Yes, he does.

Anonymous said...

Hal,

Personally I feel that whether I have met a friend on-line, he or she is a real friend. just like those I know from off-line.

Although there are the various messenger services, I often dearly miss not being able to see them in person (as we are separated by thousands of miles). Like for instance I can't go to a movie with them, or I really would like
to show Artis here in Amsterdam to Kelly or go to a concert with Victor.

I really hope to meet the friends who I know through the web one day.

But as indicated, I firmly believe, that through the web people can forge true and enduring friendships with each other.

Raven